Monday, November 3, 2008

The Boys


This morning in between snoozes...I was feeling sad about Pike and Harley moving on. I thought...wow this is the last Monday that I'll let have to pull Pike out of his ball of blanket and make him go outside....how sad. Pike really wads up in his blanket when he goes to bed for the night. most mornings, Harley runs out of his kennel ready to face the world, and Pike has to be coaxed out of his kennel and loved on a little before he's ready to go outside. I'm sure that once Pike got outside his thought was "wow...this is the last Monday that I'll have to freeze while I try and use this giant snow-covered bathroom."

John and I have gotten a laugh out of how much like Pike and Harley we are. I jump out of bed ready to go in the mornings, I'm truly a morning person. John has to push snooze a bunch of times and eventually makes his way out of the bed - after some coaxing. At night...if we're watching a movie or something, I'm asleep if I blink too long. John is a night person and could stay up until 2 if something interests him.

The boys move to Virginia to live with their "real" family on Friday. We're leaving on a jet plane ... me in the cabin and them underneath. I can just hear Pike crying about it now. We have a vet appointment tomorrow where they'll get their health certificates so that they can fly, and then everything should be in place for us to go. Our plan leaves at 7:30 - so poor John has to get up ultra early on his day off...at least he can go home and take a nap without having to tell the dogs 1000 times to get off the bed.

When I left for work this morning, I could see Pike on the couch under his favorite blanket, sound asleep again. I couldn't find Harley...so I knew exactly where to look...in our room. And I noticed a certain section of our blanket on the bed was breathing. Uh Huh. I touched the breathing section and found Harley, but just didn't have the heart to make him get up and go to the living room...after all - it's his last Monday to sneak into our room and get under the covers.