Friday, February 13, 2009

Last Day Reflections

Though it's not technically my "last day" I feel like it is. I'll be back at work next Friday, but I won't have my desk, or my "stuff" anymore. weird.

I have worked for Girl Scouts for the last 6 years and it was pretty much my first job out of college. I had worked as a nanny, waitress, receptionist and in retail until I got this job, so it was my first big girl job. And wow - I learned a lot about work ethic, professionalism and how to get along with people that are nothing like me. It's been fun. I've made amazing friends - and I will especially miss my office mate - Marlene. She has made it fun to come to work every day.

But today as I'm thinking about starting a new job on Monday - I'm also thinking about the fun I'm leaving behind. An office that you can burst into laughter in, listen to the radio and try to win those dumb tickets to the Nutcracker, duck into the CEO's office to vent a bit, check your personal email now and then without getting in trouble, wear clothes that don't quite go together if you haven't yet done laundry...it's just flexible, and I'm going to miss that.

I'll miss how hot it is in the summer, and complaining about sweating in my work clothes, I'll miss going to the coastal trail at lunch because I'm so close, I'll miss going home whenever I need to because it's right around the corner...sigh.

I'm not going to cry - I'm not. So there.

1 comment:

Marlene! said...

Well, it's Wednesday, I miss my ex-office mate! No more laughing so hard we can't see, no more singing songs we really don't know the words to, no more talking about things that we wouldn't share with anyone else, yours and mine secrets, swing jokes. Gosh, how boring this office is with out you Steph! BUT I'm very proud of your new journey in life. I wish you nothing but joy and hope that you'll be happy.