Monday, January 26, 2009

Earthquakes

It has been a while since we've had an earthquake here. So I suppose we were due.

Saturday morning John and I were just starting to get around and do a few things and we were both stopped in our tracks after we heard a slight booming sound and our house began to shake. It shook quite a bit - in fact, we felt a "6.1 on the Richter scale" earthquake. I guess the center was 45 miles west of Homer - so not that far away...Homer is about 5 hours south of us.

I was standing in our living room and could see that stuff was shaking around in the bathroom but couldn't really feel it until I moved down the hallway closer to the bathroom. What exciting morning activity!

We spent the rest of the morning running errands and hanging out together. We did some shopping and ate out for lunch. In the afternoon we helped out some friends of ours with an emergency they had. Our friend had cut his fingers severely with a table saw, so we met them at the emergency room to pick up their three little girls and take them home. We had fun playing with the girls for the afternoon while our friends hung out in the ER waiting to hear how his fingers were going to heal. Lucky us - not so lucky them. He gets to keep his fingers, but they won't look the same...what a bummer!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

That is an exciting morning activity! I can't say I've been in an earthquake yet. And I'm okay with that! ;-)

Sorry to hear about your friends fingers. I'm glad he gets to keep them.