Thursday, January 22, 2009

When Peace like a river attendeth my soul

I am overwhelmed.

There are so many things going on in my life right now that I have to purpose not to stress. I have often found myself complaining to friends or family about the additional stress I am under at work and my personal life.

Recently at a Bible Study, we were talking about worry and concerns and a wise woman much older than me shared something I don't think I would have considered on my own.

When we discuss stress in our lives and share them as worries out loud to whomever may hear – we are giving Satan a window to move in and cause havoc. He hears the pain, stress, moments of weakness as we cry and try to deal and since he can’t read thoughts – he now knows exactly what’s going on. But when we choose to air the same thoughts to our Lord, the worries turn to concerns. We are able to leave them in HIS arms and walk away (hopefully not to return).

I don’t think she meant never to share with others what’s happening in your life – in fact, I think it’s good to do that. However, she thought ending those conversations with prayer, telling your Lord you need him, worshipping despite the worry…all of those things lead to release from life’s worry.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit of an anxiety attack coming on. It happens now and then and I felt a little one beginning to build. I took hold of the thoughts immediately and began cry out to Jesus – telling him of my fears and worries, and then I began to sing the “Cast all my cares upon you” song that I learned from Psalty the Singing Songbook so long ago. I had immediate peace. Immediate. What a good God we serve, and how thankful I am for older women with whom I have acquaintance that have lived through much of what I’m dealing with now and lived to tell about it!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Praise the Lord for such a revelation. Thank you for sharing it with me!