Friday, March 5, 2010

The trouble with Facebook

You know how it goes - you want to have a party, but you only invite a couple of your friends. You have a night of games planned, but can only accommodate five people. You would love to host all of your wonderful friends, but don't have the energy to worry about introducing this group to that group.

Back in the old days - I wasn't aware of when I wasn't being invited to social functions that my other friends were going to - and they weren't aware when I didn't invite them. It's not that I didn't want to hang out with them, or they didn't want to hang out with me, and it's not that I wanted to keep events a secret, but sometimes the situation doesn't call for everyone you know to be invited.

Here's the rub with Facebook - I am now fully aware of when I haven't been invited to a social function that everyone else in my circle attended. Bummer. I see the pictures - and even if I don't happen to see the old "had so much fun at _____'s party last night" status roll on by, I might see someone else get tagged in a photo, a wall post about the food or a more general buzz on good ole FB.

Sure - I'm 33 and shouldn't be too offended when I don't get invited to every little thing. It's true that I have had my share of get togethers that for whatever reason, people miss. And it's also true that John and I tend to glom on to particular friends for a while and other relationships miss out on our awesomeness (I am so gonna miss our dear friends that are moving next month and we took entirely too long to connect with, boo). And our weird schedules (well, John's weird schedule) makes it hard to plan for much time with our friends because we're doing our best to make sure we get time together.

So WHY do my feelings till get hurt when I see that a party happened and I didn't even get the chance to say I couldn't come? I mean, at least give me the chance to make an excuse about why I can't attend! :)

No comments: