Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Knee

Warning: this is a mostly whiny blog! :)

About a month ago, I injured both my knees. I have no idea what happened to make them hurt so badly, but after a jog/walk at the Dome with my friend, I noticed that both knees were aching. This disintegrated into full blown pain. I had been increasing the miles I was running on the treadmill, and I suspect that the additional running on the hard ground was the culprit.

Anyway...you may not know it by looking at me ;) but I'm a fairly active girl. Being grounded for the last month with knee pain has really been hard for me. I had no idea how much I relied on exercise for stress relief until this happened, and I am so ready to get back to it.

The trouble is that I have a tendency to jump into things and push too hard. When I've been ill, for example, I don't ease back into things, I jump in head first and often crash hard. I need my knees to work for the rest of my life - I need to be easy on them.

This week marks my first 2 real walks since "the incident" and I hope to get in a couple more walks as the week go by. Hopefully getting in a few walks of 2 or 3 miles will help me manage stress, get outside, get some endorphins pumping and ease me back into my normal workout regime.

No comments: