Tuesday, March 17, 2009

God = Dentist?

CS Lewis once said "What do people mean when they say 'I am not afraid of God, because he is good?' Have they never been to a dentist?"

I like this quote - and having been to the dentist four times in the last six weeks, I can relate. Most of the time I don't want to go to the dentist. The cleanings are great - the dental hygienist often remarks on how my gums are in good shape and generally doesn't have to work too hard to get the tarter off my teeth. This is just surface cleaning and does not take very long.

I often don't want the exam - you know the part where they look deeper into your teeth, not just on the surface, but beyond to the root of the tooth? - because there is almost always something that has to be fixed. There will be a filling that needs replaced or worse I'll need a crown - or maybe it's something small like a filling they forgot to polish. Whatever the case is, it's going to cost me time and money, and it's going to hurt.

Isn't that somewhat similar to how God deals with us? Sometimes the cleanings (every day stuff) feels good and you are thankful you took the time to deal with the fuzzies on the surface. But when you go in for an exam, and allow God to really deal with the root of problems and the places that are hurting - that's when it begins to cost you.

But it's worth the pain. Always. Here's the good news - pain brings healing. Our God doesn't just fill cavities with silver or porcelain, but he fills them with HIMSELF! Praise God.

James 1:2, 3 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.