Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The nephews

Does this ever happen to you? You have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and then you can’t fall back asleep?

This morning I got up to go to the bathroom at 4:00 and apparently woke Pike up. I heard him get out of his kennel (which we got out of the habit of locking because he puts himself to bed between 9:45 and 10:00 and we forget to lock it …and it cracks us up) and get up on the couch (where Harley was sleeping). It’s like this, Harley falls asleep on our floor every night – then sometime in the middle of the night he goes and sleeps on the couch. Pike goes to sleep in his kennel every night and some time in the middle of the night, he goes and sleeps on the couch too. So every morning, we wake up to P&H on the couch usually under the same blanket fast asleep. Sometimes Harley is wedged between cushions on the couch because his blanket-hogging brother has pushed him out from under the blanket.

Anyway…so I get up and hear Pike wake up too. I hear him delicately tiptoe to the couch (something you have to see to believe – Beth and Phil know what I’m talking about) and he jumps up on the couch. I go to bed and lay there awake and the next thing I know – I hear Pike growling fiercely, I mean really growling. I get up and sneak into the living room and there he is hovering over Harley who is completely wrapped up in the afghan we let the boys sleep in – and Pike wants Harley to give up the blanket.

I give up watching them and go back to bed...and can't fall asleep...for the rest of the morning...boring.

Pike won – this morning when I got up “for real” there was Pike all wrapped up in the blanket, and there was Harley – cuddled up next to Pike – with no blanket.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Ha! That's funny stuff Steph!