Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lower (to the) 48

I spent the past few days in Colorado and Nebraska visiting family. I had a great time driving across the plains with my parents and seeing cousins and other extended family.

I flew into Denver on Wednesday and my dad picked me up at the airport and we headed to Colorado Springs. we had a relaxing evening hanging out and getting ready to leave the following morning. Thursday we headed up to Kearney, NE and drove and drove and drove. I've always (maybe not always) enjoyed my parents, and this was no exception. On Friday I headed over to the graduation and my parents caught up with us later at the reception.

My cousin, Ashley, graduated with a Masters in Counseling, and I am so proud of her. She has overcome quite a bit in her life to get this far, I'm so thankful I got to be there to watch her walk across the stage.

I got to hang out with Ashley some that night - I got the fabulous tour of Kearney, let me tell you it was so exciting. There's something about small town life that definitely appeals to me. I like the slower pace and the safe feeling, but I'm not sure I'd really like to live there long term.

We drove back to CO on Saturday, but not before we went to the Arch - wow. If you are at all into history - especially the Oregon Trail and the like, it was a very fun museum. It's basically a museum that stretches over the interstate (those are roads that go from state to state for those of you in AK :)) and it covers the history of the area from the Oregon Trail to I-80 being put in.

Here's me with a steroid taking bison.

When we got back to CO, I caught up with my sister who had been at the National Day of Prayers with Focus on the Family. We had a great time catching a movie together and going to theBridge at New Life on Sunday evening. It was fun to meet her friends and see a little part of her life.

I was sad that John's work kept him from going, but it was time for me to see my family and in some good time with them. It makes me miss being able to drive somewhere for a few hours and come out in another state...but I don't think I could move out of Alaska if I tried!



My dad and I - now you can see where I get my good looks!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Cute! Fun post! And you got a super cute picture with dad! Nice work!
Love you!